Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Groundswell

  The superoxyclean and soap got inside the Mac Book rendering it useless, I had a hunch to quickly disconnect the power and battery. Then I searched youtube for any advice, I found the following:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=RvoIbu7r9pM

Then I went to the Apple store hoping to get a replacement keyboard, but when I arrived with  the keyboard, they said 'we can only work on unopened laptops", and they seemed to suggest  in a denigrating way, that I should have not opened the case. I argued that "in the spirit of Steve Jobs and everything Apple has stood for: ingenuity, garage electronic hobby fun, and just general curiosity that I assumed Apple was all about that", they looked at me and said "it has not been that way for a long time". So being optimistic I just decided to soak the keyboard in water for and hour, this way I could dissolve all of the oxyclean crystals from the innards of the keyboard, and then hit with the hair drier on low . Then I reassembled the mac book back together, it looks and works almost like new. In a small way now, I know first hand how the groundswell is changing  how I do business, I probably saved $350.

I seem to have discovered a general theory on treatment of apple MacBook keyboard decontamination:

STEP 1 Use  the above embedded youtube link to remove the key board, save the screws in   
                    containers.
STEP 2 Make a warm oxyclean solution bath, rinse in stream of fresh water  and a warm plain water
                   bath, dip the keyboard back  and
                   forth in the two solutions until you get whatever gunk that got in the key board is out,
                   let it  sit in plain water for at least  one hour, rinse with steam distilled water.
                 
STEP 3 Dry  carefully, first with paper towels, then using desiccant in ziplock bags
http://www.agmcontainer.com/desiccantcity/index.htm?gclid=CPm33pDWu7ECFeUaQgodEGMAEA
                 
STEP 4 Reassemble and enjoy your system again!

To celebrate I thought I would share the best picture from this Mac Book:

sunrise on Maui's Haleakala

sunset in pacific beach











bhttp://www.agmcontainer.com/desiccantcity/index.htm?gclid=CPm33pDWu7ECFeUaQgodEGMAEA

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home